ICMP in RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Dec 2 06:14:40 UTC 2004

Yanjun Luo wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>

>>This is typical of the MAC on your board seeing only broadcast
>>packets and no MAC frames with a unique MAC address programmed into
>>your hardware.
>

> I set MAC address to 00:01:02:03:04:05 before init network part.

This address is fine for testing, but any production hardware needs an
OUI number. See IEEE for details on obtaining a valid OUI number:

 http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

> My board get the right MAC I think, I can catch the ARP reply packet
> which send by my board with sniffer, and also I can see my PC get
> the MAC address correctly. I can see my board IP and MAC in my PC
> with arp -a.
>
> It seems that everything is OK, but my board only reply the ARP
> request, refuse to reply ping request.
> With RTEMS' netdemo test code, I can see below message.
> I think my board also get my PC's IP and MAC,but why it don't
> reply my ping request? I guess maybe my board don't have ICMP support,
> I need to re-config RTEMS? But how to config with ICMP support?

I do not know the target you are using or the driver. It would seem
something in the driver is not right.

> Regards,
> Yanjun Luo.

> Destination     Gateway/Mask/Hw    Flags     Refs     Use Expire Interface
> default         192.168.0.1        UGS         0        0      0 eth0
> 192.168.0.0     255.255.255.0      U           0        0      8 eth0
> 192.168.0.1     00:0A:EB:52:8E:F4  UHL         1        0  10184 eth0
> 192.168.0.149   00:11:09:40:17:20  UHL         0     2008  10050 eth0
> 192.168.0.255   FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  UHL         0       18      0 eth0
> ************ MBUF STATISTICS ************
> mbufs:2048    clusters: 256    free: 256
> drops:   0       waits:   0  drains:   0
>       free:2047          data:1           header:0           socket:0
>        pcb:0           rtable:0           htable:0           atable:0
>     soname:0           soopts:0           ftable:0           rights:0
>     ifaddr:0          control:0          oobdata:0
>
> ************ INTERFACE STATISTICS ************
> ***** eth0 *****
> Ethernet Address: 00:01:02:03:04:08
> Address:192.168.0.144   Broadcast Address:192.168.0.255   Net
> mask:255.255.255.0
> Flags: Up Broadcast Running
> Send queue limit:50   length:0    Dropped:0
>  Total Interrupts:0           Rx Interrupts:0
> Giant:0               Non-octet:0
>           Bad CRC:0               Collision:0                  Missed:0
>     Tx Interrupts:0                  Deferred:0               Lost
> Carrier:0
> Single Collisions:0       Multiple Collisions:0       Excessive
> Collisions:0
>  Total Collisions:0            Late Collision:0
> Underrun:0
>   Raw output wait:0

Why are these counters not being updated to show the driver activity ?

> ************ IP Statistics ************
>              total packets received        5158
>  datagrams delivered to upper level        5158
>     total ip packets generated here        3035
>   datagrams successfully fragmented          12
>            output fragments created          72

Packets are being received. Do you know what these packets are ?

> ************ ICMP Statistics ************
>
> ************ UDP Statistics ************
>                 total input packets        5158
>      of above, arrived as broadcast        5158
>                total output packets        3030
>
> ************ TCP Statistics ************
>               connections initiated           1
>       embryonic connections dropped           1
>       conn. closed (includes drops)           1
>      segs where we tried to get rtt           1
>                 retransmit timeouts           4
>                  keepalive timeouts           1
>    connections dropped in keepalive           1
>                  total packets sent           5
>               ack-only packets sent           4
>  control (SYN|FIN|RST) packets sent           1

Can you see this traffic with the sniffer ?

--
 Chris Johns