ICMP in RTEMS

Yanjun Luo yjluo at panjet.net
Thu Dec 2 07:09:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Is the Ethernet driver your own driver or a standard working driver?

I'm using CS337's BSP from Jay(http://www.lopingdog.com/rtems).
I only changed PHY operation because my board use a different PHY.

> ICMP support is standard with the RTEMS stack, there is no
> configuration required as it is an integral part of the stack.
>
> If the driver is standard, are you sure your PC is actually sending
> teh ICMP packet.  It will send the ARP packet first, once it gets
> the ARP reply, it will send the ICMP packet.

With sniffer, I can sure my PC sent the ARP request and my board
reply the ARP request. I use my board MAC address[00:01:02:03:04:08]
as filter and catch any packet(to and from).
Attached picture is my sniffer's screen.

> If you wrote your driver there may be a problem with support of
> multiple mbufs linked together to form a packet for transmission.

Actually I'm not sure about this driver. I'll trace this.

> Also, the low level driver that you are using is not filling in the
> statistics for the number of transmit and recieve packets and so it
> is hard to say whether it is not receiving or not trasmitting the
> packet properly.

Yes, you are right, I find this and I think maybe I can add it.

> Also, if you look at your stats, all the packets you have received
> are broadcast packets, this does sound like the problem Chris was
> describing.  With your packet sniffer, can you validate that your
> MAC address is set correctly on the wire coming out of your board?

Yes, it seems like that, but I can see from sniffer my board had
filled the MAC address right and reply the ARP request.

Maybe my RTEMS get the right MAC address but my hardware get another one?
I add below code to fill MAC address:
void NETWORK_Init()
{
  unsigned int temp;