qemu core dump

Tue Dec 14 20:06:04 UTC 2004

Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>>I was playing last night on a Pentium II running Fedora Core 3
>>and the binary qemu from the site.  I cold run it to get the
>>help but when I used the old grub image from the site, it always
>>core dumped on me.  I was on the console.
>>
>>qemu -fda grub144 -boot a
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> Does qemu even work from the console?  I've never tried it.
> The same setup works fine for me under X though.  There's
> a -nographic option to qemu that may help?

I'm sorry.  I meant console under X11 (Gnome) as opposed to
across a VNC session.  I am an old UNIX type and think of
console as just being in front of the machine.  I forget that
means something different on Linux with the console usually
meaning not under X.

This is the last part of
strace  qemu -fda grub144 -boot a -nographic

munmap(0xf5c000, 72775)                 = 0
open("/etc/host.conf", O_RDONLY)        = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=17, ...}) = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS,
-1, 0) = 0x111000
read(3, "order hosts,bind\n", 4096)     = 17
read(3, "", 4096)                       = 0
close(3)                                = 0
munmap(0x111000, 4096)                  = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Seems weird.