qemu core dump

Richardson, Anthony ar63 at evansville.edu
Tue Dec 14 21:04:10 UTC 2004

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> > Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >
> >>I was playing last night on a Pentium II running Fedora Core 3
> >>and the binary qemu from the site.  I cold run it to get the
> >>help but when I used the old grub image from the site, it always
> >>core dumped on me.  I was on the console.
> >>
> >>qemu -fda grub144 -boot a
> >>
> >>Any ideas?
> >

> > Does qemu even work from the console?  I've never tried it.
> > The same setup works fine for me under X though.  There's
> > a -nographic option to qemu that may help?
>
> I'm sorry.  I meant console under X11 (Gnome) as opposed to
> across a VNC session.  I am an old UNIX type and think of
> console as just being in front of the machine.  I forget that
> means something different on Linux with the console usually
> meaning not under X.
>
> This is the last part of
> strace  qemu -fda grub144 -boot a -nographic
>
> munmap(0xf5c000, 72775)                 = 0
> open("/etc/host.conf", O_RDONLY)        = 3
> fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=17, ...}) = 0
> old_mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS,
> -1, 0) = 0x111000
> read(3, "order hosts,bind\n", 4096)     = 17
> read(3, "", 4096)                       = 0
> close(3)                                = 0
> munmap(0x111000, 4096)                  = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
>
> Seems weird.

Joel, I don't have any clues.  I can only say
that I've got the exact same setup (qemu binary
for the site and Fedora Core 3) and the old grub
image from the contrib directory works fine
for me (so do new apps that I build under RTEMS
under a different image with the latest version
of grub).

By the way, you don't want to use the -nographic
option.  That's when I thought you were trying
to run from the text console and not under X.

Tony