"Can't obtain network semaphore"

Steve Holle sholle at link-comm.com
Wed Dec 15 16:26:56 UTC 2004

(Sorry Joel, I think I only sent this to you.)

I will try to answer all the questions I received in one place.

1) We are running 4.6.0pre5

2)  I do break inside the #ifdef RTEMS_FAST_MUTEX and the only value tested
is _Thread_Executing->Wait.return_code
         before tripping off to panic land and the value of that variable is 4.

3) I have compared all the values in the "the_networkSemaphore" object both
before and after the crash and except for some values I would expect to
change in the Fifo and the node values, the semaphore appears to be
intact.  Nothing looks wacked anyway.

Our GUI runs microwindows and fultik(sp).  I did some checking and found
that the streaming audio threads were at the same priority as the GUI
thread so I bumped them up by 10 and the time-until-crash increased
somewhat.  It used to be that whenever I changed something in the GUI, the
system would crash.  Now it just seems to be time based.

One other thing I noticed is that the holder_id seems to be the same in the
two crashes I've captured so far.  Is there a way to track back from that
ID to who is holding it?

I will do more testing.

Again, thank you all very much for your help.

Steve Holle
Link Communications, Inc.
1035 Cerise Rd.
Billings, MT  59101