"Can't obtain network semaphore"

Eric Norum norume at aps.anl.gov
Wed Dec 15 22:22:05 UTC 2004

Joel Sherrill  wrote:

> I still wonder if there is really any value to not calling the
> real semaphore services.  I thought the direct use of score services
> was just temporary for comparison and speed improvement until
> we had the optimizations in semaphore.
>
> Chris/Eric what do you guys remember?

IIRC we put in the 'fast mutex' stuff because it made a significant impact on
the network performance (for EPICS at least).   Perhaps it's no longer the
case.  I'd be happy to remove the fast mutex stuff -- it always felt a little
like I was poking into places I ought not....

Eric Norum                                 norume at aps.anl.gov
Advanced Photon Source                     Phone: (630) 252-4793
Argonne National Laboratory