Separate Development

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Dec 31 11:05:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:15 +0000, Manuel Pedro Coutinho wrote:

> >From: Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org>
> >To: Manuel Pedro Coutinho <manuelpedrocoutinho at hotmail.com>
> >CC: joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com, rtems-users at rtems.com
> >Subject: Re: Separate Development
> >Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:38:45 +1100
> >
> >Manuel Pedro Coutinho wrote:
> >>
> >>You said that one could pre-compile the CPU kit and the user could just
> >>build the BSP and link them (with the application). How exactly can this
> >>be done? (or where could I find some documentation)
> >>

> >I have updated the Wiki to detail how this is done. Search for multilib.
> >
> >--
> >  Chris Johns
>
> Thanks for the information
>
> Multilib wasn't what I was thinking of...
> I thought of 3 approaches
>
> 1  change/add/remove the Makefiles tree produced by the configure script
>     Problems: when adding a new directory (whether it's a new driver, BSP,
> etc) one has to create a new Makefile
>                   very sensitive to changes in RTEMS
Partially wrong, partially right.

1. When adding a device driver to a BSP, you normally don't touch the
multilib'ed parts of RTEMS.
2. Not using a dedicated Makefile and trying to use a simple "catch-all"
make-rule" does't is short sighted - it simply doesn't work.

> 2  copy the original source to the rtems developer user, modify the
> Makefile.am, add/remove/change the files, run bootstrap and then configure
> and build. In the end, one can remove the original copy (if the changes were
> made in runtime)
>    Problems: It copies the whole tree to the developer user.
Did you hear about CVS, RCS, subversion or similar? They basically work
this way.

> 3  copy PART of the original source to the rtems developer user, modify the
> Makefile.am, add/remove/change the files. In addition to the Makefile.am of
> the directory one wants to change, many other Makefile.am must be changed in
> order to referenciate the original source tree in the rtems source user.
> After many Makefile.an have been changed, run bootstrap and then configure
> and build.
>    Problems: Many Makefile.am need to be changed.
>                  more complex.
I don't understand.

> Perhaps the most easy and robust approach was the second option, whereas the
> third option was the best, but much more complex.
>
> Please, tell me suggestions and/or faults of any of this approaches
> Insites are most welcome!

I think CVS is what you are looking for.

Ralf