file system

Mon Feb 2 18:46:24 UTC 2004

D. Peter Siddons wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>      Thanks for your response, also thanks to Leon Pollack for pointing
> me towards MicrMonitor.
>
> The target for my app is the Arcturus uCdimm-5272, which comes with its
> own rather limited monitor. I had shied away from replacing this with
> anything else. If nothing else there would be a learning curve plus the
> odd unbootable card :). It's somehow attractive to just take the
> commercial part as-delivered, program in the app and off you go. The
> ideal scenario would then be to have my files tacked on to the bootable
> RTEMS image and arrange so the app can read them (no writing or deleting
> needed). I wonder if one could use the IMFS for this? The task would
> then reduce to pre-formatting the info in the image to look like an IMFS
> filesystem, wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding something?

The easiest way to do this is the same way the httpd network demo does.
There is a nice piece of magic which lets you convert an uncompressed
tar image into an object file.  That object file could then be placed
directly in ROM at a known address or linked into your application.

Either way, you end up calling either rtems_tarfs_load or
Untar_fromMemory.

int rtems_tarfs_load(char *mountpoint,
                  unsigned char *tar_image,
                  unsigned long tar_size)

rtems_tarfs_load actually leaves the file contents in ROM while
generating the metadata in RAM for the IMFS.  The Untar_fromMemory()
just loads the IMFS image from the tar image.

On a different matter... Ed would it be possible to put together an
RTEMS filesystem plug-in that hooked to the uMon TFS calls?

--joel