file system

Steve Strobel steve at link-comm.com
Thu Feb 5 16:29:06 UTC 2004

I am also using MicroMonitor on a 5272 (custom board).  It doesn't take much effort to port it, because so many of the peripherals are built into the 5272 and don't change from board to board.  I did have to adapt a flash driver to the chip we are using (also not difficult).  I sent that driver to Mr. Sutter.

I haven't yet made calls to the MicroMonitor API from my RTEMS program (though I have from a program that doesn't include RTEMS).  What is the best place to call mon_connect from?  Is there a way to pass command line arguments from uMon into RTEMS?  Should bsp_cleanup call mon_appexit?  Thanks for any suggestions.  I hope to add conditional code to the 5272 BSP I am using (from Brett Swimley at Advanced Electronic Designs) that will make it interface cleanly with uMon (I plan to use at least the flash file system, TFS).

Steve

At 12:53 PM 2/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Pete,
>[snip]
>
>However, just so you know, I have a port to a SunDevil card which is
>based on a 5272 (contributed by Bill Knight), so it's probably not
>a big deal to transition that over to your card.  I don't have
>this target myself, but I have no reason to think it doesn't
>work fine.
>
>Ed
>
>"D. Peter Siddons" wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ed,
>>       Thanks for your response, also thanks to Leon Pollack for pointing
>> me towards MicrMonitor.
>>
>> The target for my app is the Arcturus uCdimm-5272, which comes with its
>> own rather limited monitor. I had shied away from replacing this with
>> anything else. If nothing else there would be a learning curve plus the
>> odd unbootable card :). It's somehow attractive to just take the
>> commercial part as-delivered, program in the app and off you go. The
>> ideal scenario would then be to have my files tacked on to the bootable
>> RTEMS image and arrange so the app can read them (no writing or deleting
>> needed). I wonder if one could use the IMFS for this? The task would
>> then reduce to pre-formatting the info in the image to look like an IMFS
>> filesystem, wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding something?
>> Pete.
>>
>> Ed Sutter wrote:
>> > Pete,
>> > I run RTEMS with MicroMonitor underneath.  Provides an immediate
>> > flash file system (read/write) for RTEMS-based applications.
>> > If you're able to shift to MicroMonitor as your bootloader,
>> > let me know and I'll be glad to give you details.
>> > Ed Sutter

>> --
>> D. Peter Siddons
>> Bldg. 725D, NSLS
>> Brookhaven National Laboratory
>> Upton, NY 11976
>> USA.
>>
>> Email: siddons at bnl.gov

---
Steve Strobel                           WWW: http://www.link-comm.com
Link Communications, Inc.               Phone: (406) 245-5002 ext 102
MailTo:steve at link-comm.com              Fax: (406) 245-4889