Posix Threads

sashti srinivasan svasn_rtems at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 11:34:00 UTC 2004

Hello All,

     I want to write my program in such a way that
same code can be run as both rtems application and as
a linux application.  Ofcourse, I will make small
changes like main() instead of Init() etc.  Towards
this end, I want to use pthread_create instead of
rtems_task_create/start.  But the linker complains
saying that pthread_create not found.  I searched all
the .a files in $(prefix)/$(bsp)/lib and could not
find pthread_create.  Please tell me how to use
pthreads.

     One more doubt.  Instead of using the traditional
makefile distributed with example applications, I have
made my own (from whatever appeared on the console
while running make on the distributed makefile).  This
also works fine.  During link time, if we link with
some .rel files, some of the directives do not work.
Please explain me what are these .rel files.  I am
sorry if it is a trivial doubt.  In this case, please
give me pointers about this.

     One help please.  I want to write a performance
suite (similar to tmtests distributed) for rtems and
for linux and wish to compare them.  If such an
activity is already done, please give me pointers and
source codes.  Also guide me if some comparative
analysis of rtems and other OS like uClinux, RTlinux,
eCos, RTAI etc. is reported somewhere.

With Regards
Srinivasan