network driver (ac_enaddr) question

Feng, Shuchen feng at bnl.gov
Fri Feb 20 22:05:01 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I had my ethernet hardware address copied to
the sc->arpcom.ac_enaddr in my network driver.
However, is this enough ?  I mean :
if_attach(ifp) and ether_ifattach(ifp)
did not attach the ethernet hardware address
to the interface because :

ifp = &sc->arpcom.ac_if

Should I also had the MAC address copied
to the ifp->if_addrlist->ifa_addr (or a different
parameter)in my driver ?  Or perhaps it is done
in a different layer of the RTEMS O.S ?

While tested  with netdemo, the driver constantly
received packets in the Rx ring even though it is not
configured as "promiscuous mode" and I did not send
any packet.  Perhaps it has something to do with the
broadcast ?  Do I have to pass a broadcast address to
the networkconfig.h file if I supplied the IP address
instead of using BOOTP ?  At this point, it seems
that the UDP transmit works fine.

Thanks,
Kate