raw_idt_notify on i386ex

Thu Feb 5 14:29:37 UTC 2004

Juergen Zeller wrote:
> Hello all, please help, I get frustrated!
>
> I'm not very experienced in BSP-porting and I have to run RTEM 4.6.0 on
> a specific board with an intel i386ex, 512k flash, 1M Ram. I'm not able
> to run the hello sample. The initialisation stops with the message
> 'raw_idt_notify has been called' after the _Context_Switch. The init -
> task never gets reached.
> When I try to run the ticker sample I also get the message
> 'raw_idt_notify has been called'. I read in the list that this should be
> some interrupt problem but how can I figure it out? I changed the
> console driver for simply polling data out via sio1, therefore the clock
> driver should be the only interrupt source. A furher printk tells me
> that my clock isr gets invoked. I figured out that the raw_idt_notify is
> called by exception 6.
> I thought the interrupt setting should be ok if my isr gets invoked? The
> hello sample uses no clock driver. What goes wrong here?

Exception 6 is an illegal instruction.  So the question is what
instruction is at the faulting address?

It might be as simple as you are compiling the BSP with the wrong
CPU flags to gcc and getting code that this CPU cannot handle.
Or it could be a piece of assembly that is using some instruction
that is not there.  My guess is the former.

As a learning point, the fact that a message indicating exception 6
occurred was a BIG hint. :)

--joel