unsigned long long working ?

Feng, Shuchen feng at bnl.gov
Thu Feb 12 20:18:59 UTC 2004

  Aaron J. Grier wrote :

  > works fine on m68k.  (the emitted assembly isn't bad either.)  I even do

  > (gasp) bit operations with them, and haven't had troubles with newlib
  > misbehaving either.

  Actually it worked fine on my 7455 and 604 PPCs as well.  However,
  I experienced the same  problem as what Phil Torre  described
  about the formatted i/o functions (printf and friends) .  The
  workaround is to break down one 'long long' into  two
  'longs'  for the printf and  friends.   I am using
  the newlib-1.11.0.   Perhaps you have a newer veriosn ?

  Sergei Organov wrote :

  > One thing that could bite you: gcc tends to use floating-point 64 bit
  > registers (when compiles with -fhard-float) to move long longs (as well
as any
  > other 64-bit entities) around. This could be a problem in FP-disabled
tasks. I
  > use -fstrict-align switch to gcc that prevents gcc from using FP
registers
  > from moving anything but floats/doubles. This behavior of the switch is
  > neither documented nor guaranteed, but I don't know any other way to
achieve
  > the desired effect.

  I think  Sergei meant -mstrict-align, not -fstrict-align.   Correct ?
  I did not find -fstrict-align in my GCC doc.

  Thanks,
  Kate