gmake[2]: execvp: m68k-rtems-gcc: Too many levels of symbolic links

Mon Feb 23 23:50:06 UTC 2004

Gordon Scott wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>

>>In general, a short path is better than a long path for a number of
>>reasons. :)
>

> Yes indeed. I wonder that so many applications/toolsets come with their
> own separate install areas. Perhaps that's the influence of M$.
> A few years back it would be just ~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
> Now it's about 400 characters.

:)  I tend to do the per-project PATH myself -- I don't even include
RTEMS in my default path -- especially now that we ship different
toolsets for different releases.

>>I recommend putting the RTEMS directory first in your PATH as a general
>>rule because if you need the RTEMS speific automake or autoconf, then
>>it MUST be ahead of the system default.
>

> It's now ahead of the defaults, but previously was not. But it's still
> after the toolset for eCos, which I'm also considering for this app,
> and jdk. Maybe it's time to start mapping PATH specifically for each
> project .. Tedious and mistake-prone, though :-(

Given that eCos and RTEMS both use the GNU tools and embedded targets,
there might be some conflicting tool names or environment variable
settings.  Do you set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX?