Confusing documentation

C Boughton cjbcvb17 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 1 05:11:09 UTC 2004

Anyone,

I am new to rtems and the rtems-users-list and (unfortunately) I am
somewhat confused.  My first source of confusion lis with how I can get
the GNAT-RTEMS operable.  Using the "Getting  Started with GNAT/RTEMS
Guide (30 August 2003), in section 3.2 there is an out-of-date list of
all the pieces and their locations.  Most of the (new) stuff is
available but I cannot find certain files or directories.  For example
the directory /pub/rtems/releases/4.5.1/ada_tools/source at the
ftp.rtems.com site does not exist let alone anything for the latest
4.6.0pre5 release.  making assumptions about possible changes to the
exact location of some of the files and scripts, one can find all the
"diff" type files but I cannot find any script files as named - e.g.,
c_build_scripts-4.5.1.tgz.  So, I sight inconsistencies in files and
their locations wrt past releases which seem unresolvable without some
help.  As to the current (4.6.0pre5) release, it seems there is no
official list(s) and I am therefore not sure whether whatever I decide
to do is likely to be correct or not.

Using the rtems download helper from the website at first looks to be a
good choice - but I am not sure that it is!  The downloaded source and
binaries is still largely inconsistent with what's in the "Getting
Started Guide".  I'm wanting to load the GNAT RTEMS stuff onto RedHat
9.0, so the obvious choice seems to be to go for the "RPMS" and install
them.  However, I can't find anything to tell me the order of
installation.  Should I follow (largely) the instructions for RPM
installation from the Getting Started Guide for C/C++ Users and judge
the order for GNAT RTEMS based on that information?  The C/C++ guide
does clearly indicate an order, so I am a little hesitant to simply
charge off and make (good) guesses about the order for the GNAT RTEMS
RPMS.

Can anyone please help, or at least point me to the correct (less
confusing) information on how to install the GNAT RTEMS.

A further question:  Will the GNAT version of RTEMS work with GNAT
3.15?  I have the native version of GNAT 3.15 already installed and
working, so it would be nice to only have to install the RTEMS for GNAT
in order to obtain the X-Compiler capability.

I'd really like to get everything together pretty soon, as I am hoping
to be able to use RTEMS within a Software Engineering Masters course on
embedded systems.  So, any help will be much appreciated!

Clive.

Carol and Clive Boughton
17 Miller Street
O'CONNOR  ACT 2602
Australia

Home Phone: +61 (0)2 6247 3157
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)410 632055 (Clive)
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)419 274 775 (Carol)