"build_alias" trouble under Cygwin when use "--disable-networking"

Steve Strobel steve at link-comm.com
Wed Jan 14 18:01:07 UTC 2004

I haven't noticed that restarting the Cygwin shell helps, but shutting down
other programs and not using the computer for anything else while it builds
definitely does.  I normally keep a lot of programs open (several Cygwin
shells, CodeWright, web browser, Acrobat viewer, etc) and have other things
going (downloads, printing, etc.) while I wait for long compiles.  I have
built other large projects under Cygwin with my computer loaded heavily
without any trouble, but when rebuilding RTEMS, I have started shutting
everything else down and using a different computer while it builds.  If I
don't shut everything else down, it will lock up or fail with the
build_alias message about half of the time.

Even without any other programs running, I was having trouble with the
command line

   ../rtems-4.6.0pre5/configure --target=m68k-rtems \
       --enable-rtemsbsp=csb360 --disable-networking

I had much better results with

   ../rtems-4.6.0pre5/configure --disable-networking \
            --target=m68k-rtems --enable-rtemsbsp=csb360

I don't know why changing the order of the command line options should make
a difference, but it does on my system (IIRC others have mentioned similar
things on Cygwin).  It seems like there is a stability problem under
Cygwin, at least when compiling RTEMS.  I don't have any idea how to go
about tracking it down.

Steve

At 06:41 PM 1/9/2004 -0600, you wrote:
> >Now I seem to have found a way to make it fail consistently.  It generally
>
>Try exiting bash and shutting down your Cygwin shell once you get the
>build_alias failure, then restart the Cygwin shell and try again.  That
>seemed to help on my system, anyway.
>

>newell

---
Steve Strobel                           WWW: http://www.link-comm.com
Link Communications, Inc.               Phone: (406) 245-5002 ext 102
MailTo:steve at link-comm.com              Fax: (406) 245-4889