Rtems with Philips LPC2106 ???

Joel Sherrill joel at OARcorp.com
Fri Jan 16 17:16:27 UTC 2004

Jay Monkman wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:03:40PM +0000, Thomas Schrein wrote:
>
>>I am thinking about a port of Rtems for the Philips LPC2106.
>>This is a brand new chip based on an ARM7TDMI-S Kernel, running 60 MHz,
>>128Kb Flash and 64 Kb Ram, pressed in a nice LQFP48 (7 x 7 mm^2 ) package.
>

> RTEMS runs on other ARM7 CPUs, so it shouldn't be too hard to write a
> BSP for the Philips part.
>
> That isn't very much memory, though. I doubt you can use the network
> stack without a lot of work.
>
> Here's the sizes for the ticker test on an ARM7:
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>  115195    3020   21760  139975   222c7 arm-rtems/edb7312/tests/ticker.exe
>
> I know someone was working on a THUMB port, and that would probably
> shrink these sizes. I don't know its status, though.

That may be shrunk more with attention to the RTEMS
configuration and what services you use.  The ticker test
has 3 tasks, uses printf (often 20-30K baggage itself),
etc..  Did that size have itron and/or POSIX enabled?

When trimming stuff you have to be careful what you call.
There have been fielded applications with multiple
tasks in as little as 96K total memory on a m68k.
That's as small as anyone has ever told me about.