Debugging with RTEMS

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Jul 22 14:56:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:25, Anthony Tonizzo wrote:

> I have compiled the hello_world_c for both platforms (with
> the -g switch) and started ddd using the powerpc-rtems-gdb and
> what I see is that after the "continue" command everything freezes
> and my breakpoint (right at the beginning of the Init() function)
> never seems to be hit. I have to kill ddd and hard reset the target.
>
> So my question is how can I debug applications in RTEMS using
> gdb, insight, ddd etc. with the help of the gdb stubs that are
> already in place in my target?
Yes (FWIW: ddd, insight are front-ends to gdb; all use gdb underneath).

>  Is there something I need to do?
Well, yes very likely. What exactly to do depends on your boards and is
hard to tell from remote.

In first place, you'd have to check the memory layout (linkcmds) and the
startup code for your BSPs wrt. their interaction with the gdb stub on
the target board.

In most cases you will need to write some custom linker script
(linkcmds) to match your actual memory layout and some custom startup
code to let the applications coexist with the applications.

Ralf