IP address woes

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 18 20:49:48 UTC 2004

I am having trouble getting my RTEMS UDP to work properly with my RTEMS
project and my Mac.

The way it works is that I send a broadcast message to find my RTEMS
device by sending UDP to 192.168.0.255
My device always gets it and attempts to send a response to the exact IP
address that sent it. Often, it says that couldn't send socket - host is
down. Then I unplug and replug my mac and it can then send the response,
and my Mac receives it, and correctly determines the exact IP address of
my device. Then, if I try to send to the exact IP address, the Mac says
that the host is down. If I try to ping from the mac, I get a host is
down message.
If I go to a Windows machine connected on the network, I can ping both
the Mac and the RTEMS. In fact, I don't have any problems at all using
Windows.

I changed the chips on my device, and the error stayed with the chip -
i.e. the Mac worked with one and not the other. Then all of a sudden, it
swapped about the one that did not work worked, and vice versa. I know I
did not make a mistake on this part because I gave the response a unique
name that was configured in the the device as a text file.

Any idea's of what to look for?

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859