creating a core dump

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 4 05:11:35 UTC 2004

sebastian ssmoller wrote:
> hi,
> i am using rtems on m68k. is there a (simple) possibility to
> 1. create a core dump and
> 2. send it the host via serial io ?
>
> where do i find the code used to create such a core dump (gcc, newlib,
> rtems, ...) ?
>
> thx
> regards,
> seb

If you have another VME board use your secondary board
to grab the target board's memory over the VME backplane
and ship it to the host e.g., via network. This is faster
and in many cases you can even obtain a coredump of a
crashed board which is very desirable.

I have some patches to the 68k exception handler so it
dumps register contents to a known place if it crashes.

I also have an application which converts a raw memory
image into a core file that can be analyzed with GDB.

Finally, I have a small patch for GDB to add core-file
support for m68k-rtems.

Let me know if you are interested in details

-- Till

BTW: all of these things [perhaps with the exception
of GDB] come on the 'RTEMS evaluation CD'.