creating a core dump

sebastian ssmoller sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net
Thu Nov 4 10:08:22 UTC 2004

hi

(...)

> If you have another VME board use your secondary board
> to grab the target board's memory over the VME backplane
> and ship it to the host e.g., via network. This is faster
> and in many cases you can even obtain a coredump of a
> crashed board which is very desirable.

sounds interesting ... but a bit to difficult for me ;-)
if i could manage to transfer a core dump/memory image to my host
i would be happy :)

> I have some patches to the 68k exception handler so it
> dumps register contents to a known place if it crashes.

a memory image would be enough for me at the moment ...

> I also have an application which converts a raw memory
> image into a core file that can be analyzed with GDB.

thats what i need - how to get it ?

> Finally, I have a small patch for GDB to add core-file
> support for m68k-rtems.

thought there was a m68k-rtems-gdb available (e.g. from freebsd ports) -
isnt this all i need to debug core files ?

remaining question: is there a simple way to transfer a part of the
memory (which is needed to get enough info out of the core dump) over
a serial line?

(...)

thx
regards,
seb

--
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away."