DOSFS tuning question <???>

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Mon Nov 29 19:44:15 UTC 2004

Daniel,

surely you can modify the sector sizes, but be aware, that the
code has only been heavily tested with 512 byte/sector. I think
the msdos_format module has one or two locationes, where 512
byte/sector are implied.

For tuning, you might try to increase the "sectors per cluster"
value during formatting. This will reduce the overhead needed
for administration.

wkr,
Thomas.

> Hello.
>

> Using rtems 4.6.2 with FAT(dosfs) and a ramdisk on a solaris with TSIM as
> simulator.
>
> I really would like to tune dosfs to different sectorsizes. Is this
> possible.
>
> In fat_init_volume_info() in fat.c I found this:

> vol->bps = FAT_GET_BR_BYTES_PER_SECTOR(boot_rec);
>
>     if ( (vol->bps != 512)  &&
>          (vol->bps != 1024) &&
>          (vol->bps != 2048) &&
>          (vol->bps != 4096))
>     {
>         rtems_disk_release(vol->dd);
>         set_errno_and_return_minus_one( EINVAL );
>     }
>
> Can this be modified in without to much trouble. Do someone have some tips.
>
> I want to try sectorsizes 8KByte, 16Kbyte and 32Kbyte.
>
> Any tips is appreciated...
>

> REGARDS
> Daniel

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany