Bochs users out there?

Tue Oct 12 21:42:41 UTC 2004

Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 13:47 -0500, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I would like to get a current set of instructions for running
>>RTEMS under Bochs.  If anyone out there is doing it, please
>>respond on the list with help. :)
>

> A long time ago (like 3 years or more) I used it, and booted RTEMS with
> a hacked linux kernel boot code, there might even be some mails in the
> archive on how i did it. I don't have anything left from that time
> (which is about 3 employers back).

I searched the list and saw your posts. :-)  There is something (a patch
to Bochs I think) attached to one of the posts.  Do you have any
recollection if it got merged?

Did the NIC in the simulator work with the RTEMS BSP?

I know it was a long time ago but what do you remember about it?
Good points, problems, pitfalls, etc?

Ralf and I talked last week and he independently mentioned getting
Bochs to run so we coudl test easily.  I have long wanted to have
it running but never got a clear idea on what was required and what
capabilities were expected to work.  I am fishing now to try to
get good instructions and advice. :)

> And what about PearPC http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/ ? I actually
> managed to install OS/X on it without problems, so powerpc-rtems should
> work too I guess ?

Possibly but for now, psim is sufficient for most powerpc testing
on a simulator.  It would be nice I suppose if the network driver
in PearPC worked with RTEMS.