RTEMS 4.6.2 BSP support

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Oct 22 06:05:04 UTC 2004

Hello,

apart from the comments of Joel and Ralf: Surely it
is possible to extract the new BSPs from CVS and
integrate them locally into the RTEMS 4.6.2 source
tree, but this might require a lot of tinkering...

Thomas.

> Haberhausen, Dierk wrote:
> > Hello,
> > one question about the new RTEMS 4.6.2 Release.
> > In CVS the ARM BSP for the CSB336 and CSB337 Boards are available.
> > Why are they not included in the new RTEMS 4.6.2?
>
> In general, .Z revisions in any version X.Y.Z will NOT contain
> new BSPs or functionalities.  THis is because these are supposed
> to be bug fix releases.  Proactically something like a BSP into two
> places is extra (unpaid) work.
>
> There are two exceptions to this rule:
>
>    + NFS was added to the 4.6 series because it was in an Add-On
>      and had no impact on RTEMS itself.
>
>    + Rarely, someone will pay to get a BSP merged into both
>      a development tree and a release tree.  This solves the
>      duplicate (unpaid) work part.  The BSP has to have
>      virtually no impact outside its own BSP directory for this
>      to even be discussed.  For a large highly CMed project,
>      this may be the only way they will use RTEMS -- to get a
>      formal release with their bug fixes and submitted BSP.
>
> In general, Ralf's comments were correct -- bug fixes only.
> At this point, there may have been only 1 or 2 cases where the
> rule was bent.
>
> Long term, I would like to see RTEMS be more like the Linux model
> where a stable branch or even an older release gets new .z releases.
> 4.6 and 4.7 use versioned tools and special install locations to
> make this easier.  So it should be possible to support multiple
> active release branches in the future if there is interest,
> significant volunteering, and/or sponsorship.
>
> There was a technical issue, now there is an issue of resources
> and practicality.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Dierk
> >

> --
> joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
>     Support Available             (256) 722-9985

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
PGP public key available at: http://www.imd-
systems.de/pgp_keys.htm