telnetd

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Sep 21 04:05:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 23:46, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> Till Straumann wrote:
> > Joel Sherrill  wrote:

> >> Till.. is it OK to put this code in the RTEMS CVS?
> >

> > Sure - how do we handle the CEXP dependencies, however?

What is CEXP?

> > Weak linker alias (thought they were not supported on all
> > RTEMS targets)? I'd be unhappy to continue supporting a separate
> > version if my changes make it into the 'official' distribution,
> > of course...

Standard answering template (weak linkage): Conditional compilation.

The configure scripts are able to check whether a tool chain supports
weak linkage (We already do). We can then disable compilation of the
code that depends on weak linkage, i.e. conditionally make a feature
unavailable.

> Thinking out loud for a minute .. Ralf can slap me if this
> is not a good answer.
>
> Since this requires networking and cexp requires
> networking, that already assumes a lot on a target.  Do all
> targets we want to support networking on already support weak
> linker aliases?

In general: no, de-facto: yes.

ATM, "weak-linkage" in RTEMS is more or less tied to "using GCC w/ELF".

More accurately: All GCC/ELF based toolchains for RTEMS claim to support
weak linkage.

> Could RTEMS be conditionally built with an --enable-cexp option?
I would prefer to avoid this whenever possible - Adding further
configure options should stay means of last resort.

> Till if there any chance of getting NFS or your Synergy BSP merged?

Ralf