telnet

Ian Caddy ianc at microsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 22 02:13:35 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,

We use RTEMS 4.5.0, with telnet and the shell, but just having a quick
look at the 4.6.1 code, it is pretty much the same.

The usernames and passwords are stored in a file called passwd located
in /etc

If you don't have a full file system, or the passwd file does not exist
it is created on startup with the defaults of:

username	password
root		<no password>
rtems		<no password>

Note: <no password> means just hit enter when you get to the password
prompt.

In the 4.6.1 tree, this is all done in the file:

cpukit/libcsupport/src/getpwent.c

Function init_etc_passwd_group sets up this file.  Note the passwd file
is similar (maybe identical) to a *nix passwd file, and in this case a *
indicates no password.

When you are logging into telnetd, I assume in the standard system, you
are logging into the shell.  The shell files are located at:

cpukit/libmisc/shell

Just look in shell.c for the login procedure.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Ian Caddy