Ada Language Support in sparc-rtems-gdb

Wed Sep 22 13:17:22 UTC 2004

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 08:31, Gert Caspersen wrote:
>
>>I am using the GNAT Ada compiler distributed as part of RTEMS 4.6.1.
>>However, I have discovered that the enclosed GNU debugger does not support
>>the Ada language (i.e. using the 'set language' command).
>>
>>Is this to be expected, or have I made a blunder somewhere?
>
> Welcome to the bleeding edge!
>
> FSF/GNAT in general is in poor shape (newer versions aren't even
> buildable) and so is Ada support in RTEMS.

The Ada support in RTEMS is really just posix threads so there
really isn't anything special.

The Ada tools are a moving target that seem to randomly get better
and worse with each GCC release.  There seems to be more active
work on Ada in the GCC development community than prior to the
3.4 release series so maybe things are looking up.

> So if you should have managed to *run* any RTEMS Ada code you're
> probably further than anybody else on this planet ;)

If you can build the compiler and link hello, it generally will
work fine.  I know of a large Ada PowerPC application based on
some 4.6 release.