Footprint of RTEMS!!!!

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Sep 24 09:52:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 11:23, Vivek Dua wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I could find any answer for the below questions in the previous mailings
> hence this question.
>
> Our BU is looking into RTEMS as a possible RTOS for our product.
>
> Since we have strict memory constraint, I would like to know the
> following:
>
> 1. What is the minimum Footprint (Code + Data + BSS) possible in RTEMS
> (bare bone RTOS) without any applications?
It's highly architecture/target dependent and partially configurable.

The typical size of "minimal applications", in most cases somewhere in
the order of 64k-128k.

> 2. Is it possible to customize the RTEMS? In other words, is it possible
> to include only desirable components of RTOS in the final image?
Yes. To some extend this is done implicitly by the linker, to some
extend this is configurable, to some extend this depends on your board
setup and your applications ("Don't use printf and the size will shrink
by several 10k").

>  Since
> we do not want to include any FFS or network stack in the RTEMS build.
>
> Would be grateful if somebody pitches in to answer this.
Download the rtems-toolchain which is known to resembles most to your
projected target, build the sample applications for it and check the
sizes.

Also, should you start to port RTEMS to a new architecture, consider
contributing your code early. Some details which might appear difficult
to understand to you might be easy for others and vice versa. ;)

Ralf