OS Abstraction Layer release

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Mon Aug 1 16:38:57 UTC 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Alan Cudmore wrote:

> RTEMS users:
> I thought I would pass along the release of one of our projects,
> since it is RTEMS related. In short the OS Abstraction Layer is a
> library that allows a portable embedded application to run on
> multiple different OSs, including RTEMS.

I quickly looked at this.  I'm curious as to why you didn't choose
POSIX as the abstraction layer for the "OS API" and "File System
API".  I'm always having the argument with my clients (I know, not a
good idea) that these sort of layers ARE what POSIX is defined for,
and the client's home-grown wrapper to provide portability is a dumb
idea.  I try to phrase it more gently. When a vendor implementation
is deficient it's a bug, you work around it with -I wrappers and ugly
redefines and report it as a bug to the vendor, without uglifying
your own POSIX compliant code.

The "Hardware API" is IMO different since I'm not aware of anything
comparable to POSIX.

Peter