OS Abstraction Layer release

Alan Cudmore Alan.P.Cudmore at nasa.gov
Mon Aug 1 15:53:10 UTC 2005

RTEMS users:
I thought I would pass along the release of one of our projects,
since it is RTEMS related. In short the OS Abstraction Layer is a
library that allows a portable embedded application to run on
multiple different OSs, including RTEMS.

The details are included below, the code is available at: http://
opensource.gsfc.nasa.gov

Thanks,
Alan

------------------------

NASA has released version 2.0 of the Operating System Abstraction
Layer (OSAL) Project.  The OSAL provides generic real time operating
system interfaces for the creation of portable real time embedded
applications. By using the OSAL interfaces, a portable application
can be re-compiled and run on multiple real time and desktop
operating systems. The OSAL includes a core set of real time
operating system services, a file system abstraction, and port I/O /
memory interfaces.

Version 2.0 of the Operating System Abstraction Layer provides
implementations for vxWorks, RTEMS, Linux/Cygwin, and Mac OS X. The
distribution also contains an example application, test programs, API
documentation, and a makefile system. New operating systems,
processor architectures, and target boards can be added to the
distribution.

The first version of the OSAL library is being used on the Solar
Dynamics Observatory ( http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov ) where it enables
portable flight software to be compiled for the RAD750 Processor
running the vxWorks real time operating system and the RH5208
Coldfire processor running the RTEMS real time operating system.  The
OSAL is also used to prototype and develop new flight software on
Linux and Mac OS X desktop computers.

The OSAL Project ( OSAL ) is open source software developed by NASA
Goddard Space Flight Center's Flight Software Branch. It is available
at the Goddard Space Flight Center's Open Source Web Site. http://
opensource.gsfc.nasa.gov