cheap RTEMS/PowerPC platform [was: Re: Open Desktop Workstation]

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Wed Aug 24 17:19:51 UTC 2005

Hello,

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Raquel and Bill wrote:

> That is not an entirely accurate accounting.  The ODW is a complete machine
> (in a case with PSU, graphics card, memory, hard drive, cables, etc.) with
> all the I/O you could want.  The others are just boards.

I've tried to make it clear with my notes below the listing (i.e. (1)
general system versus (2)-(6) eval. boards). You are perfectly right
except the small mistake that (3) also contains passive PCI chassis, but
that's really just minor thing anyway.

> The earlier comparison to the MacMini would be more appropriate.  The
> difference is the ODW has three PCI and one AGP slot and plenty more
> expandability.  You can upgrade the CPU card, graphics card, or memory on the
> ODW, for example.

I have probably not been clear. In my list I've listed everything what I
know so far which provides some kind of PowerPC core, completely
independent from expandibility, peripherals, memory size etc. with price
lower that $1000. See I'm "comparing" 200MHz 603e core with 1GHz G4! :-)
(so, yes, those are completely un-comparable things)

> The ODW is also support multiple operating systems.  We thought RTEMS could
> be one of them.  We are even willing to provide FREE hardware to developers
> that are interested in supporting the port.
>
> We joined the list and made the initial post because we had an inquiry from a
> customer that wanted to have RTEMS running on the platform.  Is there any
> interest?

Your offer is very kind and I hope you will find some RTEMS developer
willing to help you with port. Personaly I think more RTEMS ports better
for the RTEMS.

Thanks,
Karel

Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com