Developent Environments for RTEMS

Fri Aug 26 15:41:35 UTC 2005

Stan wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralf Corsepius"
> <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>
>
>> 500MB of java just to launch an editor?
>

>> I have never understood the rationale behind this, esp. not when it
>> comes to low-level stuff like RTEMS ;)
>

>>>  Do you know / use different IDEs?
>>
>> My IDE is called 4 xterms/bash + my favorite editor ;)
>

>> Ralf
>

> I use Kate, it is light and enough for small project.

I'm slightly updated old school so I use gvim and lots
of xterms.  gvim can have LOTS of buffers has some nice
macro capabilities.

My Eclipse experience was limited to watching it die
when run over VNC.  Since I do most of my work remotely
and use VNC a lot -- even when in the same facility as
the development machine, I considered that a fatal flaw.
If they have done a recent release, this might be fixed
but this wasn't THAT long ago (a few months I think).

Random rant... there seems to be a trend where developers of
UNIX GUI applications forget that people still access these
boxes remotely.  Various people I know use either Cygwin X11
or some VNC client to share large Linux development servers.
Some applications don't like to run this way and others assume
you are on the console so have sound.  At one point, when someone
stuck a CD in the server, a seemingly random user would get
the popup on a remote VNC session.

At home, I have Cygwin/X11 installed just so my wife and kids
can play the Kpatience card game on our family web server. :)

--joel

--joel