Coldfire/RTEMS Debugging

Steve Strobel steve.strobel at link-comm.com
Fri Dec 9 19:03:01 UTC 2005

I have been using m68k-bdm-elf-gdb with a P&E parallel port BDM
interface to debug Coldfire targets running RTEMS for the past few
years.  My new computer didn't have a parallel port and the PCI card
I got to add one doesn't support the standard I/O address for LPT
ports, so I am in need of a modified debugger.  I believe that last
time I built GDB that I used the GDB source from the sourceforge BDM
Tools project, without any RTEMS patches.  Is that the best thing to
do now, or would there be benefits in also applying the RTEMS patches?

Is remote debugging (either via serial or ethernet) possible on the
Coldfire?  In Oct 2004, Chris Johns wrote, "I do not know of a stub
for remote ethernet debugging if BDM is not connected"
(<http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2004/october/msg00338.html>).
Later in that thread, RTEMS librdbg, <
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gdbstubs/
http://www.kegel.com/linux/gdbserver.html
 > were all mentioned, but I never saw anyone say that any of them
were working for the Coldfire.
What about RTEMS
awareness?  <http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/DebuggingHints>
says, "Currently GDB is not RTEMS aware. GDB scripts exist that can
help..." but the RTEMS/GDB User's Guide at
<http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/pdf/rtems_gdb.pdf>
talks about thread control.  Is that just using the scripts?  If so,
I presume that they will work with the stock GDB.

How do people use the pre-compiled m68k binaries from the RTEMS site
(such as
<ftp://ftp.rtems.com/pub/rtems/cygwin/rtems-4.6/rtems-4.6-gdb-5.2-1/rtems-4.6-m68k-rtems-gdb-5.2-1.tar.bz2>
if they don't support BDM or remote debugging?  I must be missing
something obvious.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Steve

---
Steve Strobel
Link Communications, Inc.