USB support

Jerry James Jerry.James at usu.edu
Thu Dec 22 18:12:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 15:06 -0600, Mark Johannes wrote:
> We added the clause to protect RTEMS and its parts (those that are not
> covered by other licenses such as openBSD, etc...) and to allow the end user
> not to be forced to provide their code under the GPL as well (the
> contamination problem of GPL).
>
> A true GPL'ed piece of code would prohibit its use by proprietary
> applications.  This is not the intent of the RTEMS license.  Therefore, we
> would have to analyze the exact license that you intend to apply.  Please do
> not take this as we do not want your submission, we just have to careful to
> protect our users and the OS itself.

Sure, that makes sense.  Which leads back to my first question: if I can
get some programmer hours dedicated to the task of porting a
BSD-licensed USB stack to RTEMS, and promise to donate back anything we
accomplish (I can put that in writing, if need be), is OAR Corp. willing
to share their partial port to give us a leg up?

Thanks,
Jerry James, Assistant Professor    Email: Jerry.James at usu.edu
Computer Science Dept.              Web: http://www.cs.usu.edu/~jerry/
Utah State University