Yay! for mvme5500

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Feb 24 17:10:10 UTC 2005

I did "hello world", finally, on the MVME5500 on 4.7

A few "heads up", though.  Take these with a grain of salt since I'm
just starting out, but I think they're real problems.

1. The linkcmds in the BSP in 4.7 (and supplied for 4.6) don't seem to
correspond to the linkcmds used to build the "mvme5500-cexp.bin" that
came with the MVME5500 patches for 4.6.  That binary obviously starts
at 4000000, but the linkcmds put the start at 4000100.  Maybe the folks
at Brookhaven only use incremental linking using cexp as a boot loader
and haven't noticed?  Don't get me started on "incremental linking
considered dangerous", you should see some of the vxWorks startup
scripts I've seen.

2. bspstart.c is calling "initialize_exceptions()" before setting up
Cpu_table.  For me (and I hope this is how it should be) this results
in a call to mpc6xx/exceptions/raw_exception.c, and that checks
Cpu_table.exceptions_in_RAM as a boolean to decide what to do.  Since I
kept carefully zeroing out memory for repeatability before starting
things up, that was testing false, and nothing was working. When I saw
what was going on I initialized Cpu_table.exceptions_in_RAM to 1 before
calling initialize_exceptions(), and then things started working. (I
assume that test is done before BSS is defined to be cleared out).

A quick check of other powerpc bspstart.c's shows that they also call
initialize_exceptions before setting up Cpu_table, they should maybe be
checked for similar problems.

3. I get all my "Hello World" output, but the Motorola "MOTBoot"
dramatically complains when it finishes up.  I assume this is just my
getting started.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.