powerpc-rtems-4.7-gcc-4.0 patch commited

Thu Feb 17 16:29:23 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI: I have committed my powerpc RTEMS-gcc multilib patches to GCC's CVS
> trunk (aka. GCC-4.0).
>
> This patch introduces a completely new layout of powerpc multilibs:
>
> # powerpc-rtems4.7-gcc --print-multi-lib
> .;@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> m403;@mcpu=403 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m505;@mcpu=505 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m601;@mcpu=601 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m603e;@mcpu=603e at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m604;@mcpu=604 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m860;@mcpu=860 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m7400;@mcpu=7400 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> nof;@msoft-float at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m601/nof;@mcpu=601 at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> m603e/mpc8260;@mcpu=603e at Dmpc8260@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> m603e/nof;@mcpu=603e at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> m603e/mpc8260/nof;@mcpu=603e at Dmpc8260@msoft-float at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> m604/nof;@mcpu=604 at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> m7400/nof;@mcpu=7400 at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> roe/m403;@D_OLD_EXCEPTIONS at mcpu=403 at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> roe/m603e;@D_OLD_EXCEPTIONS at mcpu=603e at mrelocatable-lib@mno-eabi at mstrict-align
> roe/m603e/nof;@D_OLD_EXCEPTIONS at mcpu=603e at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
>
> It reduces the number of multilibs from 30 variants down to 18 and has a
> -mcpu=7400 (altivec) multilib variant added. The default is -mcpu=750.
> Many CPU variants, which had separate multilib variants before, have
> been mapped ("multilib matched") to other cpus.
> Old-exception multilib variants which are not used by BSPs in the public
> source-tree have been removed.
>
> Until now,
> * this GCC version has only been tested with RTEMS-CVS (aka. 4.7) and
> has _not_ been tested with rtems-4.6.x or before.
> * I am not sure this new multilib scheme is worth back-porting to
> gcc-3.x. Until now, I haven't tried and am not planning to do.

Thanks for doing this Ralf.

My hope/goal is to have GCC 4.x be the toolset for RTEMS 4.7.  GCC 4.x
appears to support Ada at least as well as gcc 3.2 which is the primary
toolset for the 4.6 series.  Gcc 3.3 and 3.4 were broken for cross Ada.
Certainly gcc 3.3.x is usable for RTEMS 4.6 for C/C++ but not Ada.
I agree with you that these are very likely not worth backporting to
older gcc's.

In a perfect world, gcc 4.x and RTEMS 4.7 would closely coincide, but
there are still some item son the table left to address.

--joel