Are PCI bridges automatically configured?

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Fri Feb 25 20:52:21 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Kate Feng wrote:

> You did it.
> Any PMC device should have firmware to follow the PCI
> standard to respond to a PCI  bridge search.  You just enabled
> the search by increasing the limit of two.

I don't understand - the device itself can't have the firmware, right?
It doesn't know what CPU is doing the searching, and so it can't have
what I'd usually consider "firmware".  The device can have the info
encoded on it for someone to do the searching, and so I'm wondering who
did the searching to find the Acromag PMC board.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.