PCI lookup issue: 3c905C-TX not found by RTEMS.

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 18 21:26:27 UTC 2005

Karel Gardas writes:
 > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
 >

 > > It looks as if the find device function is not testing any busses
 >
 > Heck, it seems that for the first device tested, BusCountPCI prints:
 >
 > `BusCountPCI() found 0 busses, assuming 1
 >  BusCountPCI: retval: 1'
 >
 > while for all other devices it just prints:
 > `BusCountPCI: retval: 1'

BusCountPCI() is a kludge in the i386 bsp's to allow the dec21140 and
3com drivers to at least link.  The i386 pci support is fairly
primitive at the moment, it doesn't handle recursing down the pci bus
to find and set up hardware.  In some cases, the pc bios might have
the boards preconfigured, but I don't think any of the x86 bsp's will
discover hardware on any bus except bus 0.

 > By your `I think the next thing to do in this case is to instrument the
 > function with printk's and see how the nested loops work.' -- do you mean
 > BusCountPCI function?

Yes- but your results above suggest 1 is the return value anyhow- so
no need for further work that way.

As a test, try hardcoding the BusCountPCI() to return 2, that way the
device scan routine will at least try other busses.

Gregm