Help needed using i386-rtems-gcc

Thu Jan 6 23:27:42 UTC 2005

joe gard wrote:
> thank you in first place,
> unfortunatly it doesn´t help me. I have a rtems app that I want to put
> to work in the real world. So I want to compile it without eny debug
> info, in order to get a app targeted for speed at the maximum. So I have
> to compile it without debug info right?
> How Do I do that is I use the make file of the hello world sample? this
> make file calls the i386-rtems-cc which ises always the -g option. I
> need to remove it but I dont know where is the -g option configured to
> remove it...
>
> By other side rtems app is linked to the kernel, right? So I also have
> to compile the kernel in "release" mode, right?  how do I do that if I
> use the make all install to compile the kernel?

-g only means that symbolic debug information is in the RTEMS libraries.
That symbolic information is included with your linked application
unless strip it.

> The ask is this:  Which is the standar method to release a rtems app to
> the real world in terms of release version?

I would hazard a guess that there is no "standard" way. SOme people may
want to debug in the field.  Sometimes you have to convert to a specific
format to download.  But for sure if you are trying to shrink the file
size, get rid of the debug information.  See

http://www.rtems.com/phpwiki/index.php/WhyLargeExecutable