Can I add to an installed RTEMS tree?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Jan 11 15:26:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 08:48 -0500, Mills, John M. wrote:
> All -
>
> I now have what appears a promising RTEMS-4.6.2 installation and have built
> and run several of the 'examples-4.6.2' objects, and would now like to try a
> more extended test suite.
>
> Ideally I would like to add those RTEMS members that come with the
> "--enable-tests" configuration option, but rebuild as little as possible of
> my presently configured installation. Is this practical,
Unless you want your "examples" to be integrated into the source, no.

Just treat your "examples" as ordinary applications outside of the
source tree and use the tools you are familiar with.

>  or should I delete
> my 'build' tree and reconfigure from scratch?
You actually want to _install_ RTEMS and use this installed tree for
your BSP ("Use your BSP"). You only need the source tree in case of
working on your BSP.

> Target is powerpc-rtems and host is Cygwin. I have also installed
> RTEMS-4.6.2 in a RedHat-7.3/GNU/Linux box and was relieved to have the same
> three BSP 'build' problems as in Cygwin: both environments seem to agree on
> the breakage.
Such general remarks are very little helpful. Better provide fixes,
check rtems-4-6-branch in CVS for if are fixed and file PRs on each of
them into RTEMS Gnats in case they have not yet been fixed.

Ralf