IRQ latency and context switching on mvme5500 (was Re: RTEMS mvme5500 bsp)

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Thu Jul 28 18:15:35 UTC 2005

Peter Dufault wrote:

> Can you also include all the identifying information about the
> vxWorks version, and whether you've modified anything from the
> distribution?
>
> I've also got a fairly big application running on RTEMS-mvme5500 and
> now vxWorks 5.5.  I don't know why Wind River sold my client 5.5, I
> wasn't involved in that, maybe 6.x doesn't run on the MVME5500?
> Maybe 6.x is more up-to-date?  If anyone knows, please let me know.

The vxWorks image was built at Diamond Light Source, by Steve Singlton.
His E-mail is included in cc.
Maybe he can tell you which version.  However, I am sure  the CACHE
is enabled in his copy of config.h.

> FIRST, THOUGH, RTEMS doesn't do anything with the 64-bit counter on
> the PPC, right?  That's where I get my timings.

I used the  on-board 32 bit counter.  clocked rate 133MHZ.

> I can't get to the system to provide full details, but here are a few
> notes from memory.
>
> 1. The vxWorks distribution has L2 and L3 instruction cache disabled
> from the factory, with a note such as "per Wind River support" in the
> config.h Motorola header file where it's disabled.  I've enabled
> instruction cache without noting any problems.  Timings are
> particularly bad before that.
>
> 2. The vxWorks header files are ANTIQUE, and my client just bought it
> last month!  gcc is "2.96".  The claimed POSIX compliance is circa
> 1995 and even then it doesn't come close.  The networking headers are
> particularly bad.  I had to put a whole lot of work-arounds in to get
> code that runs on Linux, FreeBSD, RTEMS, Cygwin, and OS/X to work on
> the vxWorks "POSIX" interface.
>
> 3. With cache enabled the context switch times are still surprisingly
> slow on vxWorks.  I'll quantify "a lot" when I can dig up some notes,
> but my biggest surprise was the time between the interrupt semaphore
> post in my ISR and when I was finally in the high-priority task (set
> at PRIOMAX) activated by that semaphore.
>
> 4. My networking code needed tweeking to get it to work reliably and
> fast on vxWorks.  I never could get receives to work in a timely
> fashion unless the receiving end knew ahead of time how much to
> receive, even setting the low watermarks, send and receive buffer
> sizes, etc wouldn't get things working well.  I finally gave up and
> started sending a fixed minimum packet size that told what would come
> in the next packet if it didn't fit in the first one. The same code
> is run in all places so that isn't a variable, it probably improves
> it a bit everywhere.
>
> I'm running a multi-axis control application and I've been doing life
> testing with both RTEMS and vxWorks at the following rates.  I'm
> using my own drivers for analog I/O.  The first number is RTEMS, the
> second vxWorks.  I arrived at these numbers by detecting analog input
> overruns and then backing off a bit and also being sure the UDP data
> is coming up OK (I live with occasional drops).
>
> Data acquisition interrupt (copies data off PCI board, posts
> semaphore): 22KHz 15KHz

I think you  should  get a better interrupt rate with RTEMS-mvme5500
version 1.3.  --Kate