Updating RTEMS FreeBSD network stack

Andrew Sinclair Andrew.Sinclair at elprotech.com
Wed Jun 22 02:04:24 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

The FreeBSD network stack has changed somewhat since it was originally
ported to RTEMS.

With this in mind, there are a couple questions I would like to discuss:
1. Has a process of keeping the RTEMS network stack inline with FreeBSD
been considered?
2. Has there been any thought of updating the RTEMS with a fresh copy of
the FreeBSD network stack?
3. Has anyone ported a recent copy of the FreeBSD network stack?
4. How difficult is it to port a new copy of the FreeBSD stack? Is it a
matter of identifying the relevant files, dropping them in and updating
rtems glue source if necessary?

Issues I can see with updating the network stack are:
1. The RTEMS port of the FreeBSD network stack is robust in its current
form. A new port of FreeBSD could be introduce problems.
2. Many of the additional plug in code like PPPD and FTPD may require
update.
3. Porting a fresh copy of the FreeBSD network stack is just hard work?

Kind Regards

Andrew Sinclair