CAN on RTEMS

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Mon Jun 13 00:03:32 UTC 2005

On Friday 10 June 2005 11:39, emu at ecubics.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> is anybody working on an CAN or specially J1939 implementation for RTEMS ?
> Or, is there one available already ?

Hello All,

we (at CTU http://dce.felk.cvut.cz/rtime/?lang=en) have invested
significant amount of work to the CAN and CANopen work.

We have almost fully rewritten original Arnaud's Westenberg driver
in the frame of the OCERA project. It has been marked as LinCAN.
It supports Linux and RT-Linux now and has more not so commonly
implemented features.

FreshMeat LinCAN entry
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/lincan

OCERA (http://www.ocera.org/) - Communication components
  http://www.ocera.org/download/components/WP7/index.html

Some short quick start info on my page
  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa/#can

Latest PDF doc with internals, history, other CAN drivers evaluation
  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa/can/doc/lincandoc-0.2.pdf

One of our department projects utilizing LinCAN and Presentation
  http://dce.felk.cvut.cz/retobot/
  http://www.linuxexpo.cz/prezentace2005/OCERA_LinuxExpo_2005.pdf

We and I personally have plan to port it into RTEMS environment
in the longer time frame. The advantage is, that driver supports
more chips and intelligent CAN controllers by now. The support of more
than 20 individual cards is result of this generic approach.

People from some companies are cooperating on Linux version
already. We would be pleased to find more people who would
like to cooperate with us. We would like to hear your comments
as well.

We have focused on CANopen by now but automotive CAN applications
and infrastructure is interresting for us as well.
We have monitoring tools and even Skoda Octavia car for automotive
CAN teaching and testing at our department. We have even played
with Osek there on the self-build HC12 based boards.

  http://dce.felk.cvut.cz/nms/?p=hardware

Best wishes

                Pavel Pisa
        e-mail: pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz