Building RTEMS from cvs, bootstrap problems

Thu Mar 3 12:17:24 UTC 2005

John Alexandersson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problems trying to bootstrap the current CVS version of RTEMS.
>
> Here is how I do it:
>
> 1) download latest version of RTEMS from CVS
>
> 2) run './bootstrap' in the root directory
>      Here I get loads of errors from automake. (Is that as expected?)
>
> 3) run './configure --target=sparc' in the root directory
>    Here I get the following error:
>     "configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./."
>
> Am I doing any obvius error here, like missing a step or something?
> Is there anyone else out there that has run the bootstrap script
> lately?
>
> I'm a newbie to automake/autoconf, so I'm having some trouble
> debugging this myself.
>
> My configuration:
> Debian unstable/i386:
> automake v1.4-p6
> autoconf v2.59
>

> For the interested:
>  I'm working on a patch-set for the erc32 and Leon processors which I
>  want to apply against RTEMS-current when finished.

The automake version in particular looks very old.  You want something
much newer like a 1.8 or 1.9 series.

You shuold also start with a newer set of binutils, newlib, gcc and
patches.  There has been some cleanup which necessitates working with
newer tools.

Also the configure command is rather short.  You want something like:

configure --target=sparc-rtems4.7

Since you are with Jiri, I assume you are actually interested in
all SPARC BSPs and wouldn't use the --enable-rtemsbsp=XXX option.