Building RTEMS from cvs, bootstrap problems

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Mar 3 15:15:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:45 +0100, John Alexandersson wrote:
> ==> Ralf Corsepius writes:

> >> You shuold also start with a newer set of binutils, newlib, gcc and
> >> patches.  There has been some cleanup which necessitates working with
> >> newer tools.
> RC> For the sparc you'll want GCC-4.0 - All gcc-3.3.x, gcc-3.4.x series
> RC> sparc-rtems-gcc's are known to be broken, Joel's gcc-3.2.x could be
> RC> usable, but I haven't tried it with RTEMS-CVS for a very long time.
>
> With GCC-4.0 I assume you meen the cvs version of GCC.
I mean GCC from gcc-4_0-branch in GCC's CVS.

> Do I need to
> apply any rtems-specific patches to GCC-4.0?
As far as the sparc is concerned, no, it should work "out-of-the-box".
For some other targets (avr, i386), patches are required, the c4x
doesn't build.

Also you will want to use newlib from newlib CVS-trunk in newlib's CVS.
For the sparc it should work "out-of-the-box", some other targets
require further patches (avr, c4x).

Ralf