Building RTEMS from cvs, bootstrap problems

Thu Mar 3 14:41:40 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 06:17 -0600, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
>> You want something
>>much newer like a 1.8 or 1.9 series.
>
> You need automake-1.9 with the patch Joel meanwhile should have made
> available on ftp.rtems.org
>
>  ... he hasn't ... grumble ...
>
> ~~~~~>
>
> Meanwhile you can d/l it from PR 546 in RTEMS Gnats

hopefully grumble resolved.  I think I have taken care of this
one finally.  There are now rtems-4.7 automake 1.9.5 RPMs
on the ftp site.  I am rebuilding the apt/yum indices
right now.

>>You shuold also start with a newer set of binutils, newlib, gcc and
>>patches.  There has been some cleanup which necessitates working with
>>newer tools.
>
> For the sparc you'll want GCC-4.0 - All gcc-3.3.x, gcc-3.4.x series
> sparc-rtems-gcc's are known to be broken, Joel's gcc-3.2.x could be
> usable, but I haven't tried it with RTEMS-CVS for a very long time.

I suspect the 4.6 3.2 tools aren't usable with the 4.7 tree but can't
guarantee it.  There are gcc 3.3.5 RPMs and patches which are more
likely to work.

Ralf is working with me to figure out why I can build gcc 4.0-cvs
by hand but can't manage to get RPMs built.  As soon as we get this
resolved, a gcc 4.0-CVS toolset should be available.

AFAIK the source in GCC CVS on the 4.0 branch is in great shape
for the SPARC.  With some minor pain, you might even get GNAT
built. :)