How to mask IRQ

leonp at plris.com leonp at plris.com
Tue May 31 14:04:53 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, 31 בMay 2005 16:17, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hello Sergei,
>
> I have read the current discussion and what I do not yet understand in
> your approach is how you manage interrupts between the "off the shelf"
> BSP drivers and the application specific interrupts. When you "manually
> manage" IRQ masks in the interrupt handlers, they get more and more
> board specific and writing portable drivers might get more difficult.
>
> All in all I think that, although your approach looks promising, it
> would require (another) major rework of the RTEMS interrupt API. We
> already have two APIs now and I think for RTEMS it is a bad idea to get
> a third one.
>
> I think the initial request from Leon should be considered, to extend
> the "new exception processing" API with some means to disable/enable
> certain interrupt controller inputs either from application level (well,
> we already have that, I think) or from within an interrupt handler. IMHO
>  it would be nice if any interrupt handler can enable/disable the
> request input of any other interrupt source, therefore I would recommend
> not to use a special return value to manage this, but function calls to
> manage this.
>
> Any comments?
I also think in your stream. And I also should like to have some API function
to do this. The only reason that I suggested the return code is, that
functions will require intermediate variable, which in turn requires very
carefull attitude as it may be changed/restored in two nested calls, while
the return value seems to be simple and safe.

Thanks.
--
Leon M.Pollak