How to mask IRQ

Tue May 31 14:23:31 UTC 2005

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hello Sergei,
>
> I have read the current discussion and what I do not yet understand in
> your approach is how you manage interrupts between the "off the shelf"
> BSP drivers and the application specific interrupts. When you "manually
> manage" IRQ masks in the interrupt handlers, they get more and more
> board specific and writing portable drivers might get more difficult.
>
> All in all I think that, although your approach looks promising, it
> would require (another) major rework of the RTEMS interrupt API. We
> already have two APIs now and I think for RTEMS it is a bad idea to get
> a third one.
>
> I think the initial request from Leon should be considered, to extend
> the "new exception processing" API with some means to disable/enable
> certain interrupt controller inputs either from application level (well,
> we already have that, I think) or from within an interrupt handler. IMHO
>  it would be nice if any interrupt handler can enable/disable the
> request input of any other interrupt source, therefore I would recommend
> not to use a special return value to manage this, but function calls to
> manage this.
>
> Any comments?

I think it is important to point out that Jennifer made significant
progress in making the x86, PowerPC, and ARM interrupt processing adhere
to the same API.  This work is on the CVS head.

For the PowerPC, there is only the new exception model on all but the
PPC4xx models which (unfortunately) are still only old exception model.

I would rather see explicit calls since return values tend to be fragile.