mvme2604 netdemo stuff

rtwas rtwas at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 20:04:52 UTC 2005

Hello,

Till Straumann wrote:

> Hi.
>
> One more thing that's interesting: I just tested
> the 'netdemo.exe' binary you sent me (absolutely
> unmodified) on my MVME2300 and it *works*.
> So this is becoming really interesting!

That is interesting.

> 1) you try your telnet command from the same machine
>    that serves the boot file to your board, right?

I tried it from two seperate machines, one is the bootserver.

>    (so we can assume the cable, host interface etc.
>    are all OK since the boot file is loaded OK).

> 2) try to sniff network traffic and see if there's any
>    participation of your board (does it send ARP? nothing
>    at all?

Not sure how to go about that. I've not had good luck with sniffers
(sniffit).
I tried to find another sniffer and can't seem to locate one that works.
 ie., won't compile, etc.

Why would it ARP if it's setup with a fixed ip?

> Does your telnet connection request make it
>    out of your box - no firewall paranoia in the way?)

No firewall on my lan. I ftp and telnet back and forth across my lan on
a regular basis.
It should be just fine. The mvme2604 tftp's it's bootfile over the same
lan without issue.

> 3) can you try to 'ping 192.168.1.100' your board from
>    the server?

I have tried. "no route to host" is what I get. But I just figured it
was highly likely that ICMP
behaviors were not enabled.

> 4) If that doesn't work, can you type
>
>         s<CR>
>
>    at the console and send me the log? (Do this after
>    the attempt to telnet and ping and making sure packets
>    get out of your box so we can see if
>    any interrupts and other stuff on the target are counted).
>
> T.

Destination     Gateway/Mask/Hw    Flags     Refs     Use Expire Interface
127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1          UH          0        0      0 lo0
192.168.1.0     255.255.255.0      U           0        0      1 dc1
************ MBUF STATISTICS ************
mbufs: 512    clusters:  64    free:  48
drops:   0       waits:   0  drains:   0
      free:495           data:17          header:0           socket:0
       pcb:0           rtable:0           htable:0           atable:0
    soname:0           soopts:0           ftable:0           rights:0
    ifaddr:0          control:0          oobdata:0

************ INTERFACE STATISTICS ************
***** dc1 *****
Ethernet Address: 08:00:3E:28:83:EA
Address:192.168.1.100   Broadcast Address:192.168.1.255   Net
mask:255.255.255.
Flags: Up Broadcast Running Simplex
Send queue limit:50   length:0    Dropped:0
      Rx Interrupts:0              Not First:0               Not Last:0
              Giant:0                   Runt:0              Non-octet:0
            Bad CRC:0                Overrun:0              Collision:0
      Tx Interrupts:0               Deferred:0        Missed Hearbeat:0
         No Carrier:0       Retransmit Limit:0         Late Collision:0
           Underrun:0        Raw output wait:0
***** lo0 *****
Address:127.0.0.1       Net mask:255.0.0.0
Flags: Up Loopback Running Multicast
Send queue limit:50   length:0    Dropped:0

************ ICMP Statistics ************

************ UDP Statistics ************

************ TCP Statistics ************

I'm not sure what we can learn from this. The ip entry for "dc1" is
clearly absent from
the route table listing. I suspect the problem lies there.

Thanks.

Robert W.