PR649, was Re: PR469 IDE problem, was: Re: Any New 4.6.4 Issues

Angelo Fraietta newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au
Tue Sep 20 04:32:23 UTC 2005

Thomas Doerfler (nt) wrote:

>>If that means while configuring RTEMS proper, that is the wrong place to do
>>it.
>>Joel has stated multiple times that the eventual goal is to provide RTEMS
>>binaries that can be linked to applications, and it makes no sense at all to
>>have multiple binaries that differ only in which ATA devices are expected to
>>be present.
>>The configuration should either be when the application is built, or at run
>>time based on initialization parameters passed to the ATA driver.
>

> Hm, so let me remind you, what is handled with this configuration: With
> these configuration items you will specify, which IDE controller(s) are
> present and used in the hardware you are using. Surely you can have very
> similar PCs which differ only in the way the IDE channels are
> equipped/used. But if you look at two PCs which differ in the harddisk
> configuration, you may also find that they have different network
> interface cards etc, in which case you will have to use (slightly)
> different BSPs again.
>
> Once again, if anybody has an autodetect solution for the IDE driver,
> please feel free to implement it in the RTEMS driver. I personally have
> no idea how it can be implemented, I have currently no time to
> investigate on this matter and I am glad that the problems Angelo has
> detected are solved.

I am quite happy having it as a config option. The reality for me is
that I am using an embedded system which is very unlikely to change IDE
channels. Also, having an IDE try to autodetect will take more time on
startup, which I definitely do not want. If we had options in the config
like

--disble-primary_ide --enable-secondary_ide

that would be more than acceptable in my opinion.
--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303

Home Page

http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/~angelo/

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
CURIOSITY
     Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153)